Areas of Expertise
- Asian criminal justice
- International crime
- Partnerships in criminal justice
- Domestic homicide
- Partnerships between police, probation, and parole officers exist, but they are largely informal. MORE
- Partnerships between police chiefs, chief probation and parole officers were based on the effort that the police chief invested. MORE
- Sex offender treatment programs are successful in reducing recidivism. MORE
- Age played a significant role in treatment outcomes. MORE
- Only 3.4% of articles sampled focused on policing issues in East Asia. MORE
- More than three-quarters (76.3%) of sampled articles were published in Policing: An International Journal of Policing Strategies & Management.
Bitna Kim, Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, is an expert in international criminal justice, community corrections, policing, crime prevention, homicide, domestic violence and gender crime.
Kim has consulted with the American Probation and Parole Association (APPA) and D.C. Public Safety through the Court Services and Offenders Supervision Agency. She also worked with the Pennsylvania Association of Probation, Parole and Corrections and has chaired several organizations including, the ASC International Section Membership Committee, the Division of Women and Gender and the Korean Society of Criminology in America (KOSCA). She is the current Trustee-At-Large, ACJS (2015 – 2018), Executive Counselor, ASC International Section (2017 – 2019), and Liaison, KOSCA (2015 – 2017). She is a research consortium member for the Global Centre for Evidence-based Corrections and Sentencing.
She has been published in numerous academic journals, including International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, Federal Probation, Women and Criminal Justice, Trauma, Violence & Abuse, and Journal of Criminal Justice Education
Kim received her Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from Sam Houston State University and M.A. and B.A. in Psychology from Chungbuk National University, South Korea.